What is it?
The Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP) is the $14 billion long-term program created by Congress to lower the cost of broadband service for households struggling to afford internet services. It replaces the Emergency Broadband Benefit, which was a temporary program to help those being impacted by COVID.
The ACP provides a discount of up to $30 per month toward broadband service for eligible households.
Who is eligible?
A household is eligible if one member of the household meets at least one of the criteria below:
- Has an income that is at or below 200% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines;
- Participates in certain assistance programs, such as SNAP, Medicaid, Federal Public Housing Assistance, SSI, WIC, or Lifeline;
- Approved to receive benefits under the free and reduced-price school lunch program or the school breakfast program, including through the USDA Community Eligibility Provision, in the 2019-2020, 2020-2021 or 2021-2022 school year;
- Received a Federal Pell Grant during the current award year.
What is the process?
- Go to ACPBenefit.org and complete the online application form, including providing the required eligibility documentation. There is an option to print and mail in the application if you prefer. You can also pick up a paper copy of the application at one of our Silver Star locations.
- Bring your USAC verifier (confirmation page) and a copy of the National Verifier application to any Silver Star retail location. Silver Star will ask for some basic information, which you can print out and fill out in advance.
- Silver Star adjusts your account for ACP – up to $30 depending on your plan.
- You should see the benefit credit on the next billing month following your application approval (the “eligibility date”)
Need to Recertify?
Recertification is an annual requirement for Lifeline subscribers and is separate from reverification (a one-time National Verifier process). This process is conducted to ensure that active Lifeline subscribers are still eligible for the Lifeline benefit. Additional information about Recertification is available at Recertification – Universal Service Administrative Company (usac.org)
Additional information about the Affordable Connectivity Program is available at https://www.fcc.gov/acp or by calling 833.511.0311 between 9 a.m. and 9 p.m. any day of the week.