What is the Telephone Assistance Program?
The telephone assistance program, also known as Lifeline, is a federally-funded program that provides eligible recipient households a monthly discount on phone service (either local telephone or mobile phone service). Idaho residents may also be eligible for an additional discount through the state-funded program, known as ITSAP.
Who is eligible?
Any residential customers who meet program-based or income-based eligibility criteria.
- Income Eligible: Income cannot exceed 135% of federal poverty guidelines for household size
- Program Eligible:
- Aid to Families with Dependent Children (AFDC)
- Low Income Home Energy Assistance Programs (LIHEAP)
- Federal Public Housing Assistance (FPHA), Section 8
- National School Lunch Program’s free lunch program
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP – formerly Food Stamps)
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
How do I apply for assistance?
In order to receive benefits, you must apply for the eligible programs with your local Wyoming Department of Family Services (DFS) field office or Idaho Community Action Program (CAA) office. Website links and local addresses are listed below. The DFS and CAA/IDHW will work with you and Silver Star to recertify you for the program each year; failure to recertify will terminate your eligibility for program benefits. Apply at a Community Action Agency (CAA) office, a Department of Health and Welfare Regional Office, Department of Family Services or at Silver Star.
- Apply at a Community Action Program office, a Department of Health and Welfare regional office, or a Department of Family Services field office.
- If you are eligible, your name and telephone number will be forwarded to Silver Star or your local service provider if different than Silver Star. Wyoming residents must complete application for benefits at local Silver Star office.
- The monthly discount will begin within the next billing period if your name and number match the telephone company’s records.
Do I need to apply every year?
Yes. Your eligibility must be renewed each year.
Is telephone assistance available for cellular service?
Yes, cellular phone assistance is available in Idaho and Wyoming.
If you have questions regarding Lifeline, please contact Silver Star or your local Idaho or Wyoming assistance offices.
Lifeline is a government assistance program; the service is non-transferable, only eligible consumers may enroll in the program, and the program is limited to one discount per household.
Wyo. Department of Family Services
631 Washington Street
Afton, WY 83110
Call the 211 Idaho Care Line for assistance: 800-926-2588
Ida. State Health Department, Distr. 7
820 Valley Centre Drive
Driggs, ID 83422-0133