What is the Telephone Assistance Program?

The Idaho Telephone Service Assistance Program (ITSAP) and the Wyoming Telephone Assistance Program (TAP), also known as Lifeline, are government funded programs to help provide eligible recipient households with phone service. The program offers a monthly discount on eligible recipients’ primary home phone line (either local telephone or cellular service).

Who is eligible?

Any residential customer who meets program-based or income-based eligibility criteria.

  • Income eligible:  income cannot exceed 135% of federal poverty guidelines for household size
  • Program eligible:
    • Wyoming & Idaho (Federal criteria)
      • Aid to Families with Dependent Children (AFDC)
      • Low Income Home Energy Assistance Programs (LIHEAP)
      • Medicaid
      • Federal Public Housing Assistance (FPHA), Section 8
      • National School Lunch Program’s free lunch program
      • Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP – formerly Food Stamps)
      • Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
      • Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)

How do I apply for assistance?

In order to receive benefits, you must apply for these programs with your local Wyoming Department of Family Services (DFS) field office, Idaho Department of Health & Welfare (IDHW) regional office, or Idaho Community Action Program (CAP) office.  Website links and local addresses are listed below.  The DFS and CAA/IDHW will work with you and Silver Star to recertify you for the program each year; failure to recertify will terminate your eligibility for program benefits.

  • Apply at a Community Action Program office, a Department of Health and Welfare regional office, or a Department of Family Services field office.
  • If you are eligible, your name and telephone number will be forwarded to Silver Star or your local service provider if different than Silver Star.
  • The monthly discount will begin by your next billing period if your name and number match the telephone company’s records.

Do I need to apply every year?

Yes. Your eligibility must be renewed each year.

Is telephone assistance available for cellular service?

Yes, cellular phone assistance is available in Idaho and Wyoming.

If you have questions regarding ITSAP or TAP, please contact Silver Star or your local Idaho or Wyoming assistance offices.

Lifeline is a government assistance program;  the service is non-transferable, only eligible consumers may enroll in the program, and the program is limited to one discount per household.


Wyo. Department of Family Services
631 Washington Street
Afton, WY 83110


Call the 211 Idaho Care Line for assistance: 800-926-2588

Ida. State Health Department, Distr. 7
820 Valley Centre Drive
Driggs, ID  83422-0133