What is the Telephone Assistance Program?
The telephone assistance program, also known as Lifeline, is a federally-funded program that provides eligible recipient households a monthly discount on phone service (either local telephone or mobile phone service).
Idaho residents may also be eligible for an additional discount through the state-funded program, known as ITSAP.
Who is eligible?
Any residential customers who meet program-based or income-based eligibility criteria.
- Income Eligible: Income cannot exceed 135% of federal poverty guidelines for household size
- Program Eligible:
- Aid to Families with Dependent Children (AFDC)
- Low Income Home Energy Assistance Programs (LIHEAP)
- Federal Public Housing Assistance (FPHA), Section 8
- National School Lunch Program’s free lunch program
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP – formerly Food Stamps)
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
How do I apply for assistance?
- Wyoming residents should apply for the eligible programs with their local Wyoming Department of Family Services (DFS) field office.
Wyo. Department of Family Services
631 Washington Street
Afton, WY 83110
- Idaho residents should contact the Community Action Partnership of Idaho (CAPAI) to make sure that they qualify for these benefits and then apply with their local Community Action Partnership office. You can find these listed, along with the counties they serve, on the CAPAI website. You can also call the 211 Idaho Care Line for assistance: 800.926.2588
- If you are eligible, your name and telephone number will be forwarded to Silver Star or your local service provider if different than Silver Star.
- The monthly discount will begin within the next billing period if your name and number match the telephone company’s records.
Do I need to apply every year?
Yes. Your eligibility must be renewed each year. The Department of Family Services in Wyoming, or your Community Action Program office in Idaho, will work with you and Silver Star to recertify you for the program each year. Failure to recertify will terminate your eligibility for program benefits.
Is telephone assistance available for cellular service?
Yes, cellular phone assistance is available in Idaho and Wyoming.
If you have questions regarding Lifeline, please contact Silver Star or your local Idaho or Wyoming assistance offices.
Lifeline is a government assistance program; the service is non-transferable, only eligible consumers may enroll in the program, and the program is limited to one discount per household.